Welcomed Visitors

Celtic Music Search Engine

Harp & Chat: Interview with Rachel Clemente - Part Two

As a follow-up to my previous interview with Rachel Clemente, "Part One" I'm excited to share some new details about her.

Celtic Sprite: You have recently issued a remarkable EP 'A Quiet Uniqueness'. Can you tell us your insights about this project? There is a track where you play along with harpist Becky Hill, isn't it? 

Rachel Clemente: This was a project that I completed in 2018 during my final year of university at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland in Glasgow. 

It was my first recording release and the first time that I began to highlight some of my own compositions as well as my arranging skills. Harper Becky Hill, who is also a dear friend did perform on the EP with me and we featured some of our duo harp arrangements. 

Celtic Sprite: Having such a broad knowledge of Scottish traditional music, I am tempted to ask you about the short-long rhythm figure of the "Strathspey" since I always had the hint it was a style usually played by Scottish harpists by 1700. Could it be so?

Rachel Clemente: Yes this is a quintessentially Scottish dance tune form. The rhythmic figure of a sixteenth note followed by a dotted eighth note is called a "snap" and that is what classifies a tune as a strathspey. There is now, across the world, “play a strathspey” day! It has spread far and wide!.

Celtic Sprite:While listening to your videos on YouTube, I noticed you lined up a duet with wind instruments (wooden flute and Scottish small pipes). Are you planning to record an album with arrangements of your own?

Rachel Clemente: That is my duo called "If You Must Know" with bagpiper and multi-instrumentalist DanHoughton. We have really enjoyed exploring the unusual combination of pipes and harp! We are hoping to record an album in the near future, but for now will be releasing a “tune of the week” on our Facebook page

Celtic Sprite: Many people are familiar with you as a musician who performs at events and weddings. Have you ever considered exploring the therapeutic aspects of harp music? ...for example, performing in hospitals or for the elderly? 

Rachel Clemente: I have a very high respect for therapeutic music and a real curiosity of the way certain vibrations can positively effect patients, but I do not perform in hospitals. I do enjoy playing for the elderly though and hearing their stories of life and how the music touches them. 

Celtic Sprite: Probably your fans don't know you have been teaching harp lessons ... How can students get in touch with you? ... Is it necessary for them to have some prior musical experience in order to take lessons with you?

Rachel Clemente: I do teach harp lessons! They can reach me through my website contact page, www.rachelclementeharpist.com and no prior musical experience is necessary. 


Let me share now the Winning Set video featuring harpist Rachel Clemente 

at the Isles Clàrsach Competition (US) 2021 

Please support her music and Suscribe to her

YouTube Channel



Feel free to check out the Second Part of this interview:

Interview with Rachel Clemente - Part One


Find out updates and more information about Rachel Clemente on her 


Follow her on


and


No comments:

LinkWithin

Popular Posts