Welcomed Visitors

Celtic Music Search Engine

Harp & Chat: Interview with Rachel Clemente - Part One

I'm delighted to share some highlights from an exclusive interview I had the pleasure of conducting with Rachel Clemente, New England based pedal and traditional Scottish harpist. 

She developed her passion for Scottish music through the Scottish Harp Society of America and the Ohio Scottish Arts School's activities and contests. Her musical studies continued at Interlochen Arts Academy, a renowned arts boarding high school. I had the chance to meet her through the Facebook network on 2021, she is a very active musician and good friend, with a passion for music from the early age of five.

Rachel received her bachelor's degree in traditional Scottish music from Glasgow's Royal Conservatoire of Scotland in July of 2018. In 2016, she won the US National Scottish Harp Champion title, and in 2021, she won the Princess Margaret of the Isles Clàrsach Competition in the United States.

Rachel is currently concentrating on establishing herself as a soloist in the New England folk scene, as well as performing in her duo with bagpiper Dan Houghton, and she continues to love working as a private harp instructor while embarking on a voyage into compositional work. 

Celtic Sprite: I have learned from your website that you had a passion for music from the early age of five.Was your first harp a pedal harp? Please tell us why you decided to be a harpist; was it love at first sight?

Rachel Clemente: The first time that I saw a harp played was during a house concert hosted by my neighbor in Ohio. The great Irish harper Gráinne Hambly was performing and after that night, my dad and I began to take lessons on a small lever harp!

Celtic Sprite: I wonder why you were so keen to attend competitions and events held by the Scottish Harp Society of America and the Ohio Scottish Arts School. Were these your first steps on the Celtic harp?

Rachel Clemente: Those were the first steps to connect with the greater lever harp community that was around me, yes. As well as my teacher at the time, they helped to introduce me to a greater range of Scottish traditional music and fellow harpers who would be my peers and mentors for years to come.

Celtic Sprite: Living in a country where instruments like the Celtic or folk harp are common, how did you obtain yours?

Rachel Clemente: I got my first harp through Stoney End which is an instrument maker based in Red Wing, Wisconsin in the United States. I was only five at the time so my first harp instructor and my father were the ones who chose the harp for me!

Celtic Sprite: Please, tell us about your lever harp, what model is it? Do you own a second model?

Rachel Clemente: I play a Killarney, 37 string Muckross that I absolutely adore! I do own a few other models of harp including two Dunham harps, a Stoney End, a Peirpont…more than I care to admit!. Many of them are rented out to students! 

Celtic Sprite: While playing the harp live, do you include both traditional folk music and compositions of your own?

Rachel Clemente: I do play some of my own compositions as well as traditional and contemporary Scottish tunes in my live sets. I really enjoy writing tunes and I am starting to explore writing for other instruments in my compositions.

Let us share now a brand new music video featuring harpist Rachel Clemente and bagpiper and multi-instrumentalist, Dan Houghton.

Please support her music and Suscribe to her

YouTube Channel




Feel free to check out the Second Part of this interview:

Interview with Rachel Clemente - Part Two


Find out updates and more information about Rachel Clemente on her 


Follow her on


and


No comments:

LinkWithin

Popular Posts