Welcomed Visitors

Celtic Music Search Engine

Loreena McKennitt : "The oak tree I loved as a child"- Insights of a Tree Hugger (Earth Day - Official Press)



"I’m trying to recall when it was that I first developed a love for trees. Certainly, as a child I spent a lot of time climbing and hugging them. It was an innate love I suppose, and even at the age of nine or ten, I may have been tapping into my Celtic roots, if that’s not too much of a play on words!!!

This love for trees was only enhanced with all the fairy tales, myths and folklore I encountered along my childhood’s way, making reference to trees including the tradition of adorning them with ornaments at Christmas time.

Later in my early adulthood, I would encounter such books as Robert Graves’ The White Goddess, or The Golden Bough by Sir James Frazer, which would expand my awareness of trees’ religious and spiritual significance, or most recently how community minded they are as learned in The Hidden Life of Trees by Peter Wohlleben. During my research for The Mask and Mirror, trees appeared in the Unicorn Tapestries, rich with nature-connected iconography. 


Hence, in this newsletter marking Earth Day, I wanted to connect the theme of trees and the role of older trees in addressing climate change as with the piece from Toni Ellis who initiated a tree trust close to where I live. I’ve also curated a playlist (Trees for Life) from my catalogue which marks my creative path in relation to trees. I’m also sharing the amazing film My Passion for Trees featuring British actor Judi Dench. I hope you will enjoy and learn a little more about trees, as I have, and their very special role on this planet.

Additionally, we are continuing our series of profiling the musicians I continue to work with (when we are out creating and performing music) and this month we’ve profiled Robert Brian as captured by the very skillful writing of our copywriter Diane Sewell.

I hope everyone is doing as well as can be in these challenging times and hopefully we can reconnect in person in the not-too-distant future!"

 ~LM

No comments:

LinkWithin

Popular Posts