Welcomed Visitors

Celtic Music Search Engine

Harp & Chat: Interview with Selkie Anderson - Part One

 

I am pleased to share with you some insights of the exclusive  interview I had the honor to held with the renowned  german musician, singer, and songwriter, Selkie Anderson.

Over the years she developed a fascination for unusual sounds and instruments. Aside from the guitar she started experimenting with various percussive instruments and whistles until the hang crossed her path. This was for Selkie, the most unusual and beautiful instrument

Inspired by its soft tunes her musical journey took a new turn. She began a solo-music project  with the hang, and performing with this instrument soon made an old dream be possible: playing the Celtic harp. Her first steps on the harp began in 2010, and since then, it has been a wondrous journey for her.

Aside from performances as a harp and hang player, you can find a more mystical side of her music under the project  Tribe Spirit, which  started in 2016. 

Selkie also collaborates with partner Mike Modulacja, who is a beatmaker and composer – together we perform as the duo “Mystical Wanderers” lined up in 2020. Since 2014 she is also part of the performance team of the German fire group Feuerflut. Until the end of 2016 Selkie was also the lead vocalist of the Fantasy Folk Band Mythemia.  

Celtic Sprite: Tell us about your first experience with the harp as a musical instrument. Was it love at first sight when you decided to become a harpist?

Selkie Anderson: Ever since I can remember, the sound of the harp, especially in Celtic music, it has touched my heart, even though I can't recall my first encounter with this amazing instrument. Actually, I also bought my hang  because the sound reminded me of the harp and had a similar effect on me. I later saved the money from my hang performances and street art, in order to be able to afford my first harp.

Celtic Sprite: How did you get started on the Celtic harp; are you a self-taught folk harpist?.

Selkie Anderson: I am self taught harpist, and played by ear for a long periof of time. I always joked to myself, that my harp  was teaching me how to play with her. This is how I have learned most of my instruments. Only recently have I started to get deeper into the theorical side of music as well, which is an interesting journey. For me, most of the music comes through when I am tapped into the flow of playing. Music happens more in my body, not so much in my mind.

Celtic Sprite: May we consider that the celtic or folk harp is quite spread in Germany? I am sure our readers will like to how did you manage to get yours?

Selkie Anderson: The Celtic harp is actually quite present in Germany if you know where to look. There is a scene of folk musicians and lovers of Celtic and medieval inspired music, even little harp festivals. My first harp was built by a German harpmaker who has specialized in Celtic and historical instruments and I was able to be part of the building process of the instrument as well. The second one was also built and designed in Germany.

Celtic Sprite: Please, tell us about your lever harp, what model is it? Do you own a second model?

Selkie Anderson: My larger harp is a model called "Arwen" by the German harpmaker Martin Gust (Magus Harps). I also own a smaller travel harp which I take along on my forest wanderings, this harp is the model "Troubadour" by the harpmaker Henrik Schupp from Hamburg (Germany). I feel deeply connected to both of them, as they have their special role and place in my life as a musician.

Celtic Sprite: While playing the harp live, do you also include traditional folk music besides the one of your own?

Selkie Anderson: I actually come from a background of playing medieval folk, so definitely: yes!


Let us share now Selkie Anderson`s latest video featuring the music of her new single release: "A Drop In The Ocean"...








Feel free to check out the second part of this interview!

Interview with Selkie Anderson: Part Two 

Find out more information about Selkie Anderson at her 

Official Site

Support her music and Suscribe to her 

YouTube Channel



No comments:

LinkWithin

Popular Posts